St. John’s soccer bounces back in overtime win over Villanova

St. John's soccer (Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports)
St. John's soccer (Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports) /

St. John’s soccer bounces back from a midweek loss to Providence in tight overtime win over Villanova.

On Saturday afternoon, the St. John’s soccer team bounced back from their midweek loss at home in double overtime to Providence with a 1-0 overtime win on the road against Villanova.

A loss would have been a huge blow for the Red Storm’s season especially with defending Big East Champions Seton Hall and No. 1 Georgetown coming up next, making the margin of error that much thinner.

The win in Pennsylvania exorcised some old demons of the Johnnies as Saturday’s win was the first at Villanova since October 6, 2007.

The game was evenly matched with both teams having some good periods of play and chances on goal.

St. John’s had some good chances in the first half as Atila Ashrafi had a shot on goal saved in the 24th minute.

St. John’s nearly took the lead at the stroke of halftime but Brandon Knapp’s shot went over the crossbar.

Villanova had some opportunities themselves as they went into halftime with a 4-2 lead in shots.

ALSO READ: St. John’s suffers first Big East loss to Providence

In the second half, St. John’s nearly opened the scoring through Ryan Dougherty but his header to the back post was saved by Wildcats keeper Carson Williams.

Dougherty, the senior transfer from Lipscomb University, was on for his first action in a St. John’s shirt and ultimately played 24 minutes in the game.

Head coach Dr. Dave Masur had to really rotate his squad for this contest with several injury concerns for the Johnnies.

Villanova had some chances themselves in the second half and one that required Luka Gavran to be called upon as a turnover in the box by St. John’s led to a dangerous shot coming in and it was pushed over the crossbar by the redshirt junior.

St. John’s soccer looking to change its luck in overtime

The game would be scoreless after 90 minutes and head to overtime, the fourth game this season for the Johnnies to go into overtime.

Just a little over a minute into overtime, Einar Lye would be taken down in the box by Villanova midfielder Anthony Dragisics. Lucas Bartlett would step up and slot the penalty kick home to give St. John’s the 1-0 win.

The spot-kick goal was Bartlett’s fourth of the season which leads the team.

The Overland Park, Kansas native has been a huge addition to the Red Storm this season being a steady defensive presence, a calming presence on the ball, and a good distributor from the back.

The win moves St. John’s to an 8-3-1  (3-1-1, Big East) record while Villanova moves to 8-3 (4-1 Big East) on the year.

ALSO READ: St. John’s has newest recruit quickly decommit from school

St. John’s sits at fourth in the Big East after the win, while the Wildcats still sit at second despite suffering their first conference loss.

However, the Red Storm win edges them closer to the Wildcats.

St. John’s has some time off until its next game as they do not play until they host Seton Hall next Saturday at 7:00pm EST.

Next. Predicting each St. John’s game in 2021-22 season. dark