The St. John’s basketball team could be getting a much needed addition soon.
The St. John’s basketball team hasn’t been playing as a full unit yet this season but that could change relatively soon.
RJ Luis, a talented offensive forward from UMass, could be back on the floor with the Red Storm as soon as Friday, November 25 against Holy Cross.
Luis suffered a broken hand in practice on October 1 and was recently cleared for basketball activities, head coach Rick Pitino said this week.
St. John’s struggled offensively in its 89-73 loss to Michigan on Monday night as Pitino was stunned how infrequently the ball moved and how much 1-on-1 play the Johnnies initiated.
Iona transfer Cruz Davis also suffered a broken hand in the preseason, but his injury was much less severe and was able to be active for last week’s season opener against Stony Brook.
St. John’s basketball looking for more production
RJ Luis, a 6-foot-7 wing, would likely be put in the starting lineup once he is in basketball shape and would not only give the Red Storm another significant offensive boost, but be a much needed addition defensively and on the backboards with his height.
Rick Pitino has said throughout the offseason, and now during the season, that the team is very weak in the frountcourt, although he hasn’t specifically mentioned the return of Luis as helping the cause.
St. John’s is starting Glenn Taylor Jr. at small forward and Chris Ledlum at power forward, which both players are listed at 6-foot-6.
RJ Luis averaged 11.5 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.3 assists, and 1.1 steals per game during his freshman season with the Minutemen while shooting 45.5-percent from the field and 34.8-percent from 3-point range.
Luis will look to more this weekend in practice as the Red Storm travel to South Carolina for three games in the Charleston Classic.