St. John’s soccer plays spoiler on the road against Providence

St. John's soccer (Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports)
St. John's soccer (Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports) /

The St. John’s soccer team played to a draw against Providence on the road. 

As the saying goes, misery loves company with the St. John’s soccer team came into this game already mathematically eliminated from qualifying for the Big East Tournament.

However, the Red Storm’s 1-1 draw at Chapey Field on Thursday afternoon dealt a fatal blow for the Providence Friars in its hopes of qualifying for the postseason.

The Friars needed to win both of its remaining regular season games in order to participate in the Big East Tournament and that was quickly derailed by the Johnnies.

St. John’s now moves to 5-4-2 (2-4-2 Big East) on the season and while wrecking Providence’s chances at the postseason, St. John’s has now seen its winless streak extend to six.

The Red Storm has not won a game since March 7 against Seton Hall at Belson Stadium.

Providence drops to 7-2-2 (5-2-2 Big East) on the season and Thursday’s match started out with the Friars dominating possession as the Red Storm were seemingly stuck in their own end for a majority of the opening 30 minutes of play.

ALSO READ: St. John’s working quickly for Fordham transfer Joel Soriano

St. John’s didn’t get a shot off until the 34th minute when top-scorer Jessica Garziano fired a goal of the season type of strike from the left-wing as the sophomore midfielder shot the ball towards the far post in what looked like a missed fired cross, but instead went off the post and into the back of the net to give the Red Storm a 1-0 lead.

The goal was the Melville, New York native’s seventh goal of the season and second in Big East play.

Graduate student Jordan Kamp also made some crucial saves in the net for the Red Storm in the first half as she split the game with Naya Lipkins between the pipes for the Johnnies.

The Allentown, Pennslyvania native denied Friar midfielder Avery Snead in the 18th minute as she became wide open inside the box, fired a shot, and Kamp got just enough of a touch on the ball for it to hit the post and roll harmlessly out of bounds to keep the Friars off the board in their best chance of the game at the time.

St. John’s soccer unable to pull away in second half

The second half was much more even as the Red Storm were able to get more possession and opportunities of its own. However, the Friars were able to punch one in 12 minutes into the second half as Hannah McNulty found Amy Birchwell inside the box on a free-kick to tie the game at one.

ALSO READ: St. John’s target Kadary Richmond opts for conference rival

Both teams could not find a winner even as the game went to double overtime and they would share the points.

St. John’s and Providence will face off with each other once again on Sunday, April 11 in the regular-season finale for both teams at Belson Stadium in a makeup of the postponed March 18 contest.

dark. Next. St. John’s target Mark Armstrong commits to Villanova